Thursday, October 15, 2009

Literacy Debate

The readings for class 6 were concerned with collections for young adults. After reading the New York Times article by Motoko Rich I understood that the online readers extract greater benefits from reading than the book readers. Online reading builds on the traditional reading skills and requires new skills. These skills include the ability to navigate the We and to synthesize information in many different forms. Reading books differs in several ways from online reading. Book readers many form questions less frequently; searches can be limited to the table of contents and index. Book readers may interact less directly and less often with one another than online readers. The only benefit to reading books is that readers have high confidence in them and the information is often already organized and synthesized.

Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading? article made me question my own literacy skill progress. I think that I agree with some of the teens that the web gives more opportunities to interact with the article and other users. It gives you a feedback and several viewpoints. It also gives more suggestions for reading updated and similar articles. I'm in favor of the web. I don't agree with groups that are against the web as a learning tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment